Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I woke up the other morning with that feeling in the back of my throat, the one where you're not really sick yet, but you know it's coming. Griffin calls this condition, 'hypochondria.' Wanting to kick the cold before it ruined my week, I ran to Tesco that night and bought some Cold & Flu pills. I take two, and then a couple hours later I take two more as I slip into bed feeling confident that I will wake up all better. 

Hours pass and I'm still awake so it occurs to me around 3:30 AM to take a second gander at that box of pills. I discover there are three ingredients- Phenylephrine (cool, sounds good with me) Paracentamol (nice, allright) and Caffeine (oh, hell). Sleep did not come until 7 that morning and needless to say I was not feeling better. So I basically got hopped up on caffeine and stayed up all night on Stumbleupon.com... which I later realized is exactly what I do during finals week at Baylor.

This past weekend I took the rail to Edinburgh which was a glorious time. My choice of seating on the train afforded me the chance to sit next to a dozen 40 year old women who were celebrating a birthday party. People complain that Americans are loud, but you should have heard these English ladies. It felt like I was watching "sex and the city" on 4 different tvs inside a chicken coupe during feeding. You know that adrenaline rush you get when startled suddenly by a loud noise, like a fire alarm while napping? I had that every 5 minutes because of one these particular lady's laughter. On top of that, they smelled as if they had all been dipped in a pool of Chanel. Sensory overload. But they were having a wonderful time so I love them for it. I can't imagine what people used to think about us as they drove past 5th and daughtry. Terrible things. 


The architecture in Edinburgh is old and beautiful...


It's amazing walking through a city with so much history within it. The Castle visit that I went on was sweet, but a bit too tourist-y. As I descended into the prison chambers, trying to imagine the past lives spent in this captivity, creepy music was playing and voice overs of 'prisoners' were looping through some bose speakers. I kept expecting a robotic Jack Sparrow to pop out or Bugs Bunny to end the tour with "That's All Folks!"


The city is also filled with interesting people. Like this gentlemen… 



I told him he would be a great fit for Austin, TX. (If you scroll this pic up to where he's looking at the pic of me, it looks like he's really disappointed and I'm like, "Ah c'mon, what?")

I'll be going back to Edinburgh in a couple of weekends to see The Streets with Mary Claire, one of Waco's finest. I can't wait.

I have another blog written as of now, but I will stagger the release for a few days as I'm sure Austin will already complain of the length of this one. 

For those that were asking, my Skype account is jorbejorbs. Holla! 

Hope it is well with all of your souls. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the simplicity of your words and pictures, plus the pic of you next to it, makes me feel like your sitting at Rambellwood, sharing your stories. A-mazing. :)

    ReplyDelete